Director, Carbon Asset Risk
Ceres is a sustainability nonprofit organization leading the most influential investors and companies to build leadership and drive solutions throughout the economy. Through our powerful networks and advocacy, we tackle the world’s biggest sustainability challenges, including climate change, water scarcity and pollution, and human rights abuses.
For more information about Ceres, please visit our web site (www.ceres.org).
Description & Responsibilities
The Director, Carbon Asset Risk will coordinate its investor campaign on carbon asset risk. The successful applicant will work with Ceres’ Oil and Gas, Electric Power and Investor Network teams to mobilize investors to help prevent unmanageable climate change by pressuring fossil fuel companies to invest significantly less capital in projects like thermal coal, oil sands and Arctic drilling. The Director will also work with Ceres’ investor network members to develop strategies for reducing carbon asset risk in their own portfolios and lead engagement with other key financial sector actors like banks and credit ratings agencies who have the power to influence how the fossil fuel industry invests its capital.
This is an exciting time to be working with some of the nation’s largest investors to engage with one of the world’s largest industries, and one that has influence over the world’s future energy mix. This is a full-time position, based in our Boston office and will report to the Director of Oil and Gas.
Specific duties include, but are not limited to, the following:
• Develop and execute annual programmatic goals and Ceres’ organizational strategy for advancing the Carbon Asset Risk campaign, as well as support strategic planning for the overall Ceres Climate and Energy team.
• Develop and implement campaign strategies and tactics to discourage continued fossil fuel industry investment in high carbon fuels, and to encourage investment in cleaner sources of energy.
• Conduct an annual assessment of the campaign and re-direct strategies and tactics based on evaluation.
• Work with, expand and mobilize existing multi-trillion dollar investor coalition with goal of slowing industry investment in high cost/high carbon fossil fuels.
• Continue to build the business case for investor action on carbon asset risk, by managing and/or conducting research and report production.
• Develop and execute communications strategies to persuade key decision makers of the risks of high cost/high carbon fossil fuel investments.
• Partner closely with other Ceres teams, including the Electric Power, Transportation and Investor Network teams, to execute Ceres’ carbon asset risk strategy.
• Coordinate Ceres’ collaboration on carbon asset risk with a broad range of national and international investors and NGOs.
• As needed, support Ceres’ other Oil and Gas priorities, including work related to shale development, oil sands and flaring.
• Manage and advance relationships with current and potential funders, including by partnering with the Development Team on grant proposals or engagements with donors to raise funds to support this campaign.
• Supervise at least one staff member, to include training, conducting performance reviews, and providing guidance and support with professional development.
• Support the development and implementation of Oil and Gas team management systems.
• Assist with planning for the Ceres annual conference program, and assist or lead with management of other events to advance campaign objectives.
• Represent Ceres as a speaker at conferences and events.
• Travel, as needed, to engage with companies, investors and stakeholders.
• At least 10 years of relevant experience.
• Bachelor degree required. Master or other advanced degree in business, environment, law, public policy or related field preferred.
• 3 years of management and strategy development experience.
• Knowledge of environmental and sustainability issues important.
• An understanding of corporate finance, the socially responsible investment community, and the environmental and sustainability movements, preferred.
• An understanding of investment firms, financial institutions, and institutional investors, preferred.
• Knowledge of the oil and gas industry is preferred, but not required.
• 3+ years of experience supervising staff, including ability to provide training and support staff development.
• Experience developing and managing progress against goals and budgets.
• Demonstrated ability to deliver specific projects and initiatives independently and leading a team.
• Proven ability to manage multiple projects from concept to completion on own momentum and with limited guidance.
• Ability to work both independently and as part of a team, in a fast-paced environment.
• Sound judgment, sensitivity to diverse constituencies, excellent interpersonal skills, strong initiative and motivation.
• Effective presentation style and excellent oral and written communication skills.
• Advocacy or campaign experience is preferred.
• Willingness to travel as needed to accomplish duties noted above.
How to Apply
We encourage all applicants to review our website to familiarize themselves with Ceres before applying: www.ceres.org. If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit a resume, cover letter, two writing samples, and a list of three references, as well as complete the additional information as instructed.
Ceres is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against any individual based on race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law.
Click here to apply
Please mention that you saw the job on Justmeans