Communications Manager, Climate and Energy
Ceres is a sustainability nonprofit organization leading the most influential investors and companies to build leadership and drive solutions throughout the economy. Through powerful networks and advocacy, Ceres tackles the world’s biggest sustainability challenges, including climate change, water scarcity and pollution, and human rights abuses. For more information about Ceres, please visit our web site (www.ceres.org).
Description and Responsibilities
Progress toward advancing climate solutions at the pace and scale necessary to stabilize the climate hinges like never before on actions, investments and leadership by the business and investor communities. Ceres is poised to dramatically ramp up its communications strategies to amplify meaningful private sector climate and clean energy commitments, and bold actions to accelerate the transition to the low-carbon economy. This includes actions to de-carbonize the electric power and transportation sectors, such as through investments in renewable energy, energy efficiency and electric vehicle infrastructure, as well as corporate and investor actions to adopt science-based greenhouse gas emissions reductions targets, analyze and disclose exposure to climate-related risks, and shift spending from high carbon to clean energy.
The Communications Manager, Climate and Energy will develop and execute short and long-term communications planning, including strategies that generate an uptake in earned media coverage on climate and clean energy leadership by elevating the voices and actions of influential investors and companies through an array of traditional, digital and social vehicles and tactics. Working closely with the communications and marketing team at Ceres, this position will be responsible for executing on both planned and rapid response activities that are pivotal in expanding Ceres position as a climate and clean energy thought leader in the U.S. and beyond.
This is a full-time salaried position. This person will report to the Vice President of Climate and Energy and have a dotted line relationship to the Department Director of Communications and Marketing.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited:
• Develop and execute long-term communications plan for the Ceres climate and energy team, which works to transform the oil and gas, electric power, insurance, and transportation sectors.
• Conduct targeted media relations and outreach to generate uptake in earned news coverage of Ceres experts/thought leadership as well as investor and company leadership and action.
• Identify, train, and deploy Ceres experts and investor and company media spokespeople to conduct on-the-record interviews, provide quotes and statements, author columns/op-eds and editorials, and participate in social media outreach.
• Work closely with communications and marketing team to develop media toolkits forresearch reports and initiative rollouts, ensuring coordination internally and with external partners, and consistency in framing, messaging and design.
• Identify key communications priorities and moments, help ensure communications elements are coordinated and organized closely together with relevant initiatives, and integrate climate and energy communications plans with Ceres’ overall communications and marketing priorities calendar.
Support strategies for paid and unpaid media via columns/blogs and multi-media content to promote solutions-oriented stories, demonstrating the economic benefits (jobs, savings, etc.) of business and investment decisions that advance climate solutions.
• Develop media plan to elevate Ceres’ carbon asset risk initiative and continue to amplify investor engagement and strong shareholder votes.
• Coordinate and manage relationship with long-time external consultant on transportation-related communications activities and messaging.
• Develop, maintain, and expand relationships with external partner organizations and coalitions to coordinate and amplify impact and messaging.
• Identify and cultivate new strategic (paid and unpaid) media/social media partnerships.
• Support Ceres digital communications and marketing team with input on social media, eCommunity, annual report and other content needs to amplify impact and messaging on digital platforms.
• Ensure regular communications with investor and company media spokespeople and their communications staff, as well as with reporters and producers, to cultivate and maintain those relationships.
• Provide communications and marketing support as needed for key Ceres events (e.g.,. annual Ceres Conference, biennial Investor Summit, etc.)
• Bachelor degree, required. Graduate degree, preferred.
• 5 years of work experience in journalism, communications, public relations, required.
• Experience developing media relations strategies and working in fast-paced media environments.
• Strong writing and fact-checking skills with experience writing for media audiences including pitches, press releases, statements, columns/op-eds, etc.
• Experience with producing content that resonate with various audiences including media, policymakers and the business community.
• Demonstrated interest in climate and clean energy policy and sustainability issues, preferred.
• Existing relationships with business, climate and energy reporters on state and local level, preferred
• Experience working on environment, energy, and/or transportation policy issues, particularly at the state level, preferred.
• Experience managing and strengthening relationships and coordinating with multiple partners.
• Strong pitching and organizational skills.
• Ability to regularly evaluate workload and prioritize projects.
• Able to direct and manage multiple projects at the same time.
• Able to work well independently and as a team member.
• Comfortable working with different personalities and people.
• Desire to work in a mission-driven and nonprofit environment.
How to Apply
We encourage all applicants to review our website to familiarize themselves with Ceres before applying: www.ceres.org. If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit a resume, cover letter, two writing samples, and a list of three references, as well as complete the additional information as instructed.
Ceres is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against any individual based on race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law.
Click here to apply
Please mention that you saw the job on Justmeans