Associate, State Policy
Ceres is a sustainability nonprofit organization working with the most influential investors and companies to build leadership and drive solutions throughout the economy. Through powerful networks and advocacy, Ceres tackles the world’s biggest sustainability challenges, including climate change, water scarcity and pollution, and human rights abuses.
For more information about Ceres, please visit: www.ceres.org.
Description & Responsibilities
The Associate, State Policy position supports Ceres’ policy work, with a focus on U.S. Inter-mountain West and Western state-level policy and engagement of business and investor voices in those states. This a full-time position, based in Boston, MA and part of the Policy and BICEP Network team. This position is designed for a highly motivated, self-starter looking to be an advocate for Ceres’ policy program goals. The position will report to the Senior Manager, State Policy.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Research, track and write briefs for Ceres staff and partner investors and businesses on key developments related to Western state policy priorities
• Represent Ceres on state coordination calls and respond to requests from partners and advocates
• Draft sign-on letters, blogs, and tweets about state policy advocacy efforts
• Research and track state policymaker targets and identify opportunities to advance clean energy policy in priority states
• Provide administrative, logistical, and writing support to the Manager and Senior Manager in recruitment of investors and businesses to engage in state level policy advocacy opportunities
• Provide logistical support for state policy related conference calls, webinars, and events with businesses and investors
• Coordinate with other program teams (such as Investor Programs, Communications, Development, Electric Power and Transportation) as needed to accomplish organizational objectives.
• Support organizing and logistical activities related to Ceres’ Annual Conference.
• Support special projects of Policy team, as necessary.
• Bachelor degree preferred. In absence of Bachelor degree, at least 7 years of relevant work experience or 5 years of relevant work experience, plus an Associate degree.
• Two to three years of professional experience demonstrating excellent interpersonal skills and some project management abilities.
• Knowledge of environmental and sustainability movements and current issues.
• Expertise on environmental, energy and/or transportation issues, preferred.
• Experience working in advocacy settings with private sector entities preferred
• Strong administrative and organizational skills
• Ability to organize and track multiple projects and desire to work in a fast-paced environment
• Strong oral and written communication skills as well as effective presentation style.
• Able to present a professional and confident demeanor with senior level professionals
• Sound judgment, sensitivity to diverse constituencies, excellent interpersonal skills, proven ability to demonstrate initiative and motivation.
• Demonstrated initiative and willingness to take on projects that support the success of the team and Ceres.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team and take a collaborative approach, and to deliver independent projects.
• Ability to bring a positive outlook and energetic commitment to working at Ceres on a daily basis.
• Willingness to travel as needed to accomplish duties noted above.
• Proficient with word-processing, spreadsheet, presentation, database, social media and e-mail computer applications.
How to Apply
We encourage all applicants to review our website to familiarize themselves with Ceres before applying: www.ceres.org. If you are interested in applying for this position, please submit a resume, cover letter, two writing samples, and a list of three references, as well as complete the additional information as instructed.
Ceres is an Equal Opportunity Employer and will not discriminate against any individual based on race, color, sex, national origin, age, religion, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, military or veteran status, disability, or any factors prohibited by applicable law.
Click here to apply
Please mention that you saw the job on Justmeans